Microwave bagel-bun, recipe for busy singles

This recipe makes a single bun in the microwave. It is low-carb and quite chewy, not unlike a bagel.

Low-carb breads tend to be very fat and eggy. I am not adding any fat here, and the eggy taste is largely masked by using flaxseed and dry yeast. I am also not adding any salt.

I think this is a reasonably healthful recipe, since it avoids ingredients considered less beneficial for our health while providing a reasonable amount of protein and fibre and remaining relatively low in calories.



Six dry ingredients
Coconut flour, 2 tablespoons
Ground flaxseed, 1/2 tablespoon
Metamucil , 1/2 tablespoon
Xanthan gum, 1/4 teaspoon
Baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon
Dry yeast, 1/4 teaspoon

One wet ingredient
Egg white, 90 grams

It may seem a bit strange that I am measuring everything in spoons, not grams, which goes against my usual ways. The reason is a pragmatic one: the scale I am using, a Cuisinart, is not even remotely precise enough to measure small quantities like this: it does not even attempt to pretend it can measure less than a gram, and I have found out that, in practice, it tends to measure in steps of 2 grams. That is not good news when measuring such tiny quantities so, even though I find measuring with spoons less than satisfactory, it is the better way in this case.

How to make
1. All the dry ingredients are put together in a small container. It is shaken vigourously to break up large lumps and to mix the ingredients.
2. 90 g of egg white is weighed in a coffee mug.
3. The dry ingredients are put on top.
4. The ingredients are mixed with a fork.
5. The mug is put in the microwave on high for 3 minutes and 30 seconds. Microwaves all have different characteristics, so this should most likely be adjusted for other microwaves.
6. The mug is inverted on a drying rack and given a gentle tap if the bun does not fall out automatically (which it usually does).
7. It is best to let the bun cool for a few minutes.


The bun can then be sliced and eaten with a spread. I sometimes cut it into four slices while at other times I eat it as a muffin.

Nutrition facts
IngredientNutrition factsQuantityEnergy [kcal]Protein [g]Fat [g]Carbohydrates [g]Fibre [g]Net carbohydrates [g]
Coconut flour2 tbsp [14 g]6031.5954
Ground flaxseed1/2 tbsp [13/4=3.3 g]70/4=17.53/4=0.84.5/4=1.14/4=13/4=0.81/4=0.3
Metamucil1/2 tbsp [4.5 g]45/11.6*4.5=17.50011/11.6*4.5=4.36/11.6*4.5=2.3(11-6)/11.6*4.5=2
Xanthan gum1/4 tsp [0.8 g]300110
Baking powder1/4 tsp [1.2 g]200000
Dry yeast1/4 tsp [0.9 g]30.40000
Egg white90 g45/100*90=40.510/100*90=90/100*90=01/100*90=0.90/100*90=0(1-0)/100*90=0.9
Total60+17.5+17.5+3+2+3+40.5=143.53+0.8+0+0+0+0.4+9=13.21.5+1.1+0+0+0+0+0=2.69+1+4.3+1+0+0+0+0.9=16.25+0.8+2.3+1+0+0+0=9.14+0.2+2+0+0+0+0.9=7.1

In short, and clearer, these are the nutrition facts for one bun:
Kcal: 143.5
Protein: 13.2 g
Fat: 2.6 g
Total carbohydrates: 16.2 g
Fibre: 9.1 g
Non-fibre (net) carbohydrates: 7.1 g

Metamucil is rather economical with information on the container. I also could not find any information on the Canadian website. As a consequence, the Metamucil data are based on the data published on the American website of the company.

I hand-measured 25 level tablespoons which I found to weigh 225 g. This led me to conclude a level half-tablespoon weighs 4.5 g.

While there is no way to be sure these data are correct, I think they are close enough.

There are several reasons for using these ingredients.

Coconut flour
Available at my local Loblaws
Low carbohydrate
High fibre
Relatively neutral taste

Ground flaxseed
The reason for using ground flaxseed is to provide some colour. Coconut flour is very white, and I find that somewhat offputting. The ground flaxseed gives the end product a bit more colour and cute speckles. While the tiny amount of additional fibre it provides is welcome, it was not the main consideration.

Ground flaxseed is also available at my local Loblaws. Replacing it with ground chia seeds will give a very similar result, but ground chia seeds are more expensive and not available at my local Loblaws. However, if the situation were to change in favour of ground chia seeds, I would switch without giving it a second thought, but only then.

Metamucil
The initial idea was to use psyllium husk to provide more chewiness. However, this is not available at my local Loblaws and the local Bulk Barn was not open when I first thought of using psyllium. Since Loblaws did have the original unsweetened smooth Metamucil on the shelves, this is what I have been using ever since.

Xanthan gum
This improves texture and somehow makes the buns less wet. It is also available at my local Loblaws.

Baking powder
This makes the bun airy, bread-like and easy to eat. An easy ingredient to pick up at my local Loblaws.

Dry yeast
Any type will do. Since the buns are made in the microwave without any rising, it has no effect. It is only here as a spice to provide a yeasty flavour. There is no other reason for using it. There is an ample supply at my local Loblaws.

Egg white
Since the flour used does not have gluten, an alternative structural component has to be incorporated. This is why I am using egg. Whole eggs are great, but their yolks impart a less-neutral flavour to the buns and they also provide calories I'd rather avoid except when I am really craving whole eggs.
The practical way to get egg white is to buy it in a carton. Our local Loblaws sells 1-litre cartons. One carton is enough to make 11 buns.

Egg whites provide good-quality protein and are the main source of protein in this recipe.

Final considerations
The goal I had in mind when I created this recipe, was not to create the most "ah-mazing" bread ever. I simply wanted to create a decent alternative to high-carb bread that was quick and easy to make in quantities suitable for someone living alone. I think I have succeeded but tastes differ, so you may well disagree.

Because I do not need the extra calories, I used only egg whites. However, it quite possible to replace 45 g of egg white with a whole egg, or to replace all the egg white with two whole eggs. Everything will work just as well, possibly even a little better.

Using whole eggs has two drawbacks, however: it increases the calorie count and it makes the bun taste more eggy.

A video of this recipe can be seen here:



*****
Please note that I make no health claims and no nutritional claims. There are enough alternologists and quacks on the Internet already and I have no intention of joining them.
I sincerely encourage you to talk to an actual medical doctor or registered dietitian before making any health- or nutrition-related decisions.

If I made any mistakes in this post, please *do* feel free to point them out in the comments.

Comments