Canned hummus

I love hummus. Unfortunately, it is not necessarily all that easy to find pure, unadulterated hummus. It is easy enough to make it yourself, but I balk at the idea because it does require some time, even if the time needed is more in the clean-up than in the actual preparation.

Fortunately, there is a compromise available in the form of Arz canned hummus, or as the company puts it on the label "chick pea dip - hummus".

Arz hummusNutrition facts
This is not a sophisticated product by any means. The label mentions four ingredients: chick peas, sesame paste, citric acid and salt.

Hummus is usually used as a dip, but since I like simplicity, I like to eat it straight. It is very high in calories, so in order to prevent overeating, I put what I consider a reasonable portion in a small dish and eat it with a spoon, just as I would eat cottage cheese or yogurt. This is even more pleasant because Arz hummus is really smooth, so it is very much like a pudding or a soft cheese.

Of course, a "reasonable portion" is very much a matter of personal opinion, but I tend to consider anything at or below 250 kcal a reasonable portion. I also look at the protein content, and the closer it gets to 15 grammes, the happier I am. I also like to get as high a fibre count as I can get.

I like the portion to be convenient if at all possible. That way, I don't get stuck with ridiculous amounts of leftovers. In this case, one third of a can (133 grammes) seems to be the closest I can get.

I also look at the sodium content, and that is a really weak point here, but salt seems to be more or less unavoidable if you don't want to make the product yourself.

As a result, I get this:
Calories 50/30*133=222 kcal
Protein 2/30*133=8.9 g
Fibre 3/30*133=13.3 g
Net carbohydrate (5-3)/30*133=8.9 g
Sodium 150/30*133=655 mg

The bad thing about the calculated values above is that they are almost certainly erroneous. Since Arz only mentions a tiny serving size instead of a more reasonable standard size of 100 grammes, even small rounding errors get quickly inflated when multiplying the serving size. But, I can only use the information I have and not the information I do not have, so this is the best I can do.

My conclusion is that while this is an acceptable snack, it is far from an ideal snack. However, I like it quite a bit, and will therefore certainly use it every now and then.


 *****
Please note that I make no health claims and no nutritional claims. There are enough alternologists and quacks on the Internet already and I have no intention of joining them.
I sincerely encourage you to talk to an actual medical doctor or registered dietitian before making any health- or nutrition-related decisions.

If I made any mistakes in this post, please *do* feel free to point them out to me.

Comments