TVP

TVP (textured vegetable protein), also known as TSP (textured soy protein), is a greatly undervalued product that is hardly ever talked about. That is a pity because it is really a wonderful product that can be used in many different ways.

It is basically nothing more than defatted soybeans and it is a byproduct of the soybean oil extraction process. As such, it contains next to no fat, a lot of protein and an appreciable amount of fibre. It also contains very little carbohydrate, much less than most beans except for edamame and lupini.

The picture shows a quantity of 28 grammes of TVP, the quantity needed to get approximately 15 grammes of protein.


I buy mine at the neighbourhood Bulk Barn since that is the only mainstream store where I can find it. They also sell it at the local Noah's, but they have the Bob's Red Mill brand which I don't like because it is too hard for my taste.

These are the nutrition facts as given by Bulk Barn:
Calories290
Fat1 g
Carbohydrate32 g
Fibre18 g
Protein53 g
Sodium25 mg

Unfortunately, these nutrition facts are less than factual. If we calculate the calories, we arrive at a different number: (32 + 53) * 4 + 9 = 349 kcal. I will use this number in the next table that shows the same data normalised for 15 grammes of protein:

Weight100/53*15=28.3 g
Calories349/53*15=98.8 kcal
Net carbohydrate(32-18)/53*15=4.0 g
Fibre18/53*15=5.1 g
Protein53/53*15=15 g
Sodium370/53*15=7.1 mg

Most sources that talk about TVP say that you have to rehydrate the granules before using them. I do not understand why they do that, since there is no identifiable reason to do this in most cases I am aware of. In many recipes, the granules will simply rehydrate automatically and even if we eat them without rehydrating, they will still be processed just fine by our digestive system since it is quite capable of dealing with dry materials.

My own favourite use for TVP is as a breakfast cereal or snack, as can be seen in this video clip:


I also like to use TVP in soup/stew and I have even used it every now and then to take with me as a snack although I much prefer soy nuts for that.

*****
Please note that I make no health claims and no nutritional claims. There are enough alternologists and quacks on the Internet already and I have no intention of joining them.
I sincerely encourage you to talk to an actual medical doctor or registered dietitian before making any health- or nutrition-related decisions.

If I made any mistakes in this post, please *do* feel free to point them out to me.

Comments