Soybeans

Soybeans are a great and versatile product. I buy mine at the local Bulk Barn.


These are the nutrition facts given by Bulk Barn for 100 g of product:
Calories450 kcal
Fat20 g
Carbohydrate30 g
Fibre9 g
Protein36 g

I like to "normalise" the numbers to 15 grammes of protein, and this is what I obtain:
Weight100/36*15=41.7 g
Calories450/36*15=187.5 kcal
Fat20/36*15=8.3 g
Net carbohydrate(30-9)/36*15=8.8 g
Fibre9/36*15=3.8 g
Protein36/36*15=15 g

This explains why the picture shows 42 grammes of soybeans. This is what we need to obtain approximately 15 grammes of protein.

Soybeans have numerous uses, but I do not like the amount of work and cleanup that is usually involved. However, there are ways to use soybeans with a minimum of fuss, and one such use (making soy nuts in the microwave) can be found here:




*****
Please note that I make no health claims and no nutritional claims. There are enough alternologists and quacks on the Internet already and I have no intention of joining them.
I sincerely encourage you to talk to an actual medical doctor or registered dietitian before making any health- or nutrition-related decisions.

If I made any mistakes in this post, please *do* feel free to point them out to me.

Comments