Frozen mixed berries

Frozen fruit is both delicious and convenient and can be used in different ways. I like Loblaws' no name frozen mixed berries a lot because there is no need to keep several different bags in the freezer, and also because it is the only brand of mixed berries I know that does not contain frozen strawberries. While I love fresh strawberries, I really don't care for frozen ones all that much.


No name mixed berriesNutrition facts
I like standardised portions because it makes it easier to keep track of my food intake and I have somehow decided that 125 g is a nice portion. I really don't remember how I came to that number. I am guessing that I was influenced by the idea of half a cup, which is 125 ml, and - of course - not nearly the same amount as 125 g. It also happens to be quite practical, since 125 g is exactly 1/16 of a 2 kg bag.

These are the nutrition facts stated on the bag for half a cup (80 g):

Calories40
Fat0 g
Carbohydrate11 g
Fibre4 g
Protein1 g
Sodium0 mg

And here are the numbers calculated for 125 g:

Weight80/80*125=125 g
Calories40/80*125=62.5 g
Net carbohydrate(11-4)/80*125=10.9 g
Fibre4/80*125=6.2 g
Protein1/80*125=1.6 g
Sodium0/80*125=0 mg

Frozen berries have numberless uses. I like to eat them frozen, thawed, sprinkled with TVP, or combined with cottage cheese or egg.

I tried them in smoothies, but I think that is a crime against the berries. Their taste changes and becomes cloy and undefined. I much prefer them in ways I can actually taste and enjoy them.

I also tried to mix them with egg white in a high-speed blender followed by cooking in the microwave and while the result was very tasty, it also boiled over and created a mess, something I'd rather avoid.

Frozen berries are also great pulverised in a high speed blender. They become something akin to sorbet, only tastier. I don't do this very often though because it takes too much time and I don't employ elves to do all the cleanup.

This is one example of how I like to use frozen berries:



*****
Please note that I make no health claims and no nutritional claims. There are enough alternologists and quacks on the Internet already and I have no intention of joining them.
I sincerely encourage you to talk to an actual medical doctor or registered dietitian before making any health- or nutrition-related decisions.

If I made any mistakes in this post, please *do* feel free to point them out to me.





Comments